Thursday, January 30, 2014

Here we go again...

So I have completely and totally neglected this blog. Seriously. The only thing I can say is that it's been a rough few months: full time job, part time job, full time grad student, dad with cancer, holidays, and in general, laziness. However, writing is such a huge outlet for me that I have decided to give this whole blogging thing another go. 

I have a friend who writes a fantastic blog, and this blog renewal is partly inspired by her success. Its called Honey I Shrunk the Gretchen and it is fabulous, check it out if you've got a minute. 

So why the blog? 

Well, I need to lose weight. I'm currently weighing in at about 165 lbs., and with a height of only 5'3", that's not so good. And I can't believe I just posted my weight on the INTERNET! Holy cow. Calm down, that's part of the process: being honest, being vulnerable, and holding myself accountable to the real, honest numbers. I've actually lost weight already, in August I got myself a fitbit (love it!), and I'm actually almost ten pounds down since then (yay!) it would have been 15 but...Christmas. 

To that end, I have three goals: 
  1. to be healthier. I'm actually a very active person and I like doing things like playing sports and races and physical activity, so I'd like to be able to do all of that better, for longer, and without getting winded
  2. I'm going on a cruise this summer and I HATE looking at pictures of me from the last cruise (about 180 lbs...not cute) so I want to be able to look at pictures from this one without cringing.
  3. I really, really, really want to run a marathon. My sights are set on the Disney marathon in January 2015. I've run two half marathons and there is just this niggling thing in the back of my mind that says "you have to do a marathon". I'm not getting any younger, and I think that's one of those things I'm just going to have to do with my life, so might as well get it over with. 
My goal weight, which I hope to reach by August-September this year is 125 lbs. My goal for the cruise is 135. That gives me approximately 5 months to lose 30 pounds. Doable, I think. I've got my YMCA membership, and I've been good about going. I write down everything I eat (which is still not completely under control, but...I'm working on it). The last thing I've done is some motivational sayings and pictures. They are literally all over my room:



I'm hoping the fact that these are everywhere I look everyday, it'll keep me from getting discouraged and complacent or giving up. I especially like this one: 

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Don't quit. Give it 12 weeks."

So that's my promise. I'm going to try my hardest for 12 weeks and see what happens. That will, incidentally, coincide with the end of student teaching and grad school. Finally. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

So here's to blogging, losing weight, and staying on track. :)


Peace out.


No comments:

Post a Comment