Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Fangirl Spectrum

I lied about not blogging today. I was so productive yesterday that I actually do have a minute to write. And normally, I would be previewing the game or discussing more light football snack options. Because I love football and that's what I would like to do. However, I've found what is quite possibly the most disturbing thing ever on Pinterest:


After a bit of googling, I have found that these are called "One Direction Imagines" and they are basically imagined scenarios involving the poster (almost always a girl) and one and/or all the members of One Direction. 


Yeah. I mean, I know we used to say things like "can you imagine if Nick Carter/Justin Timberlake was your boyfriend?" (Like, from the Backstreet Boys/NSYNC days) but it was literally a momentary flight of fancy and spoken about in the moment and then moved on from. This...is there any way for this not to be creepy/strange/a little off-balance?


I'm totally abusing the gifs today, I know. But the point stands. I'm all for imagining, I can tell you that I did it as a kid in a similar vein of the spirit of these odd One Direction Imagine things, but...when you go from a two minute day dream to a written, blogged, re-blogged and pinned image...you've moved from goofy middle schooler to extreme fangirl. And frankly, some of these are just creepy! I saw one on Pinterest browsing through the "popular" category that said something like "imagine the look your husband Harry gives you when you're pregnant and craving kale and peanut butter". Now we've moved beyond silly and are approaching the stalker end of the fangirl spectrum. 

What is the fangirl spectrum? Well, it's slightly arbitrary. You can be a fangirl and still be a perfectly normal person with friends and a life and...you know, a functioning member of society. I like to consider myself that level of fangirl, who only has brief moments of fangirling out (like, when I figure something out in Sherlock and have to text my friend immediately). Would I be perfectly calm if I ever met Jim Parsons, Benedict Cumberbatch or Jensen Ackles or David Tennant? On the inside, heck no, but I think that I would be able to continue to function and speak like a human being. Just...use your gut. If it makes you say this: 


then you've crossed the line into this:


and now you might be considered legitimately crazy by some people.


Okay, I'm done with the gifs. I promise. But at least we had some variety. I'm a fan, and a nerd, and that's okay. And some people are bigger fans than I am but there is a line, people. That's just how I feel. 

Now, on a football-related note. I'm rooting for the Seahawks hard tonight. I'm a Patriots fan, it is physically impossible for me to cheer for any quarterback who is the spawn of Archie Manning. Can't do it. Won't do it. Can't stand either of them. And yes, I know the elder spawn received the MVP award. Don't care. Look at his receivers! He's almost always had an amazing receiving core while other quarterbacks *cough*Tom Brady*cough* work with a cadre of un-drafted free agents. 

I shouldn't start down that path...let's just say that if the Broncos win I will be very


Enjoy the game folks! 




No comments:

Post a Comment